Rotary Club of Wausau Scholarships
Last Updated 12/21/2020
This year’s recipients’ pictures below
Up to five scholarships in the amount of $1,000 are awarded by the Club annually. Awards are based on two key qualification criteria, namely, demonstrated involvement in both volunteer services and leadership roles at school and in the community. This criterion is the foundation of Rotary International as captured in the Rotary motto: “Service Above Self.”
The Rotary Club of Wausau Youth Scholarship Program accepts applications from graduating seniors who attend a public or parochial/private school located within the Wausau and D.C. Everest School – or who reside within the boundaries of the Wausau or D.C. Everest School Districts.
Scholarship awards may be used by the recipient at any accredited, post-secondary educational entity.
The completed application includes the follow key contents:
- COMMUNITY SERVICE AND LEADERSHIP ROLES FORM-The student will be asked to complete and submit a “Community Service and Leadership Involvement” form, which can be downloaded from the application site. This is the only allowable form an applicant may use. The form will include a list of the student’s leadership roles in high school (e.g. clubs, groups, etc.) as well as in other community organizations; and, their roles and volunteer involvement in community service, including in school and in the community. The list should note beginning and ending dates of the student’s involvement.
- COMMUNITY SERVICE AND LEADERSHIP NARRATIVE (Maximum 500 words)-The student will be asked to compose a narrative to describe how their leadership roles in school and in the community, along with their community service involvement in both settings, has prepared them for their future career or vocation. That career goal should be indicated. This narrative should NOT be just a narrative version of the contents of the “Community Service and Leadership Roles” form.
Please be aware that the quality of this composition will be judged on the success of linking experience to preparation of a future career and will be a significant factor for ranking an applicant’s eligibility for a scholarship award.
- REFERENCE LETTERS-Two reference letters must be submitted with this application:
THE FIRST reference letter must be from a community member who is familiar with and can speak to the applicant’s leadership skills and volunteer contributions at school and in the greater Wausau area through community service roles.
THE SECOND may be from another community member OR an individual involved in the student’s school who is familiar with and can speak to the applicant’s leadership skills and volunteer contributions at school and in the greater Wausau area through community service roles.
Without exception references may NOT be from any family member.
Only one reference letter can be from an individual involved in the student’s school, including: teachers, counselors, principal, coaches etc.
Failure to meet the reference letter criterion will disqualify the student from consideration for a scholarship award.
- EDUCATION AND CAREER GOALS NARRATIVE (Maximum 500 words)-The student will be asked to compose a narrative to describe their educational field of pursuit and their career goals. Please be aware that the quality of this composition will be judged on the clarity of the stated goals and will be a factor for ranking an applicant’s eligibility for a scholarship award.
The Rotary Club of Wausau Scholarship Fund is administered within the Community Foundation of North Central Wisconsin. Students are asked to complete the online application in a clear and thoughtful manner according to the instructions provided through the Community Foundation’s scholarship application website.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION WEBSITE:
Students are asked to register and begin the application process. Once you have entered a user email address and password, you can click on the “Log On” button and you will be directed to the registration page. When you have successfully completed your registration, you can log on to the scholarship application by clicking on the “apply” button in the menu on the left side of page. Scroll down the list of scholarships available and click on the Rotary Club of Wausau Youth Scholarship listing. You will be directed to the scholarship application form and you will be asked to provide the information outlined above.
Three documents will need to be completed and uploaded into the online application:
- “Community Service and Leadership Involvement” form (download form from online application)
- Two reference letters (as outlined above – no family members accepted)
Completed applications must be submitted electronically by 5 p.m. on February 15 to be considered by the Selection Committee.
Information will be held in the confidence of the Scholarship Selection Committee, the Wausau Rotary Club, the Community Foundation’s board of directors, and its staff.
ANNOUNCEMENT, NOTIFICATION, AND PAYMENT
Recipients will be announced at their senior awards ceremony by a member of the Wausau Rotary Club. The Community Foundation will send a confirmation to the students after the award ceremonies informing them how to initiate the scholarship payment. Payment of the scholarship will be sent directly to the college or university the student plans to attend, after the student has provided proof of registration to the Community Foundation office.
If you have any questions regarding the Rotary Club of Wausau Youth Scholarship, you can contact:
Sue Nelson, Program Officer at the Community Foundation office